Thursday, September 22, 2011

Surprises... post #3

Hello! I haven't posted anything in a little while because I haven't had any time to think about anything! I really don't like that. But today was different... I finished work about 2:30 and that allowed me to do 2 things that I enjoy and let me just think about stuff. I did a long run (I am actually kind of proud of this... 8 miles at 8:30 min/mile pace... I am 41 after all!) and I mowed the lawn. Nothing like chugging down a road for an hour to let the mind wander. I then sat on a lawn tractor for 2.5 hours with nothing but the roar of the mower to keep me company. (my F.I.L. says my hearing aid is on order unless I start putting ear plugs in... he's right). So with that much time on my hands, this post will be a little long.... sorry.

I realized that we have had a number of surprises the last few weeks. I live with 3 girls and a wife... I should be used to surprises, right? And besides, I like surprises! Well these were not the knock your socks off, eyes wide open surprises. These were the think about it for a little while and say "hey, I didn't expect that" surprises. So, on to it.

Girl #3 came home this week and announced that she wanted to take dance. Now you would normally say that's not unusual. Most little girls 9 years old like to do ballet, tap, etc. Well G3 is not your typical girlie. She is a tom girl's tom girl. She likes mud, frogs, spiders, etc. She wears her baseball hat backwards... need I say more? When she makes a good shot in tennis, she sticks her chest out and taps it with her racket and then she stares at you. Her favorite outfit is a dirty t-shirt and sweats or a t-shirt and athletic shorts. She asks to wear this to church every week. When the boys give her a hard time on the playground she body slams them... and smiles afterwards. All the boys want to be her friend (except the ones she body slams) because G3 "is cool!" Sorry, I just can't see her in a tutu or tights! I am thinking that she may have more surprises for me in the future.

We got a call from Girl #2's math teacher on Monday night. That usually is not a good thing. G2 has been complaining all year because she wanted to be in the higher level math class but she didn't do well enough on some of her placement tests. Her complaint was that she got A's and her teacher recommended her for the algebra class and that should override a few points on the bubble sheet tests. (I hate bubble sheets!) Frankly, I couldn't have agreed with her more. We found out about the class this summer... I was an angry dad. I even wrote an excellent letter to the principal stating my (her) case. I know it would have convinced him, and if it didn't, my indignation would have. My number 1 girl had a cooler head, however (thankfully)! After prayer and much discussion, we decided to let this be a learning experience for G2. That if she wanted something bad enough, then make sure your scores were high enough to get it. In short, work harder!

 The phone call on monday... math teacher informed us that the entire pre-algebra class was going to be moved  ahead to algebra starting tomorrow. Huh? never heard of that before! Evidently a lot of the kids (including G2) had staged a coup-de-tat of sorts the previous week. A big group stated there frustration with being in the pre-algebra class. My purpose is not to brag on G2... although she is really smart! :) But somehow I had been saved from making a complete idiot out of myself to the principal and G2 was rewarded for her hard work the previous year. Providence??? I choose to think so, but you can decide for yourself.

So, I am thinking that Surprise #3 will have to wait for another night cause I am beat from my run. And, the next surpise will take a little more splainin' (said with cuban accent). And this blog is so long I would be surprised if you finished it! Tune in tomorrow if you want to hear the end of the story!

Later Gator!

No comments:

Post a Comment